Saturday, September 12, 2009

Ratatouille- easier than I thought


It is a chilly gray Saturday morning and we have so much to do. I just wanted to post picutres from dinner last night. I made ratatouille from the contents of our CSA box.(One Straw Farm) We got the most beautiful little aubergines and I couldn't resist trying something new.


It turned out really well, I mean, Michael was raised in cow centric Wisconsin and he didn't even mind the absence of meat. I used a non-traditional cooking method. I just chopped all the veggies, splashed some olive oil and kosher salt on them and roasted them in the oven at 375F for 50 minutes. I then made a simple tomato sauce on the stove. I sauteed onions in olive oil, then just placed tomatoes in the pan and seared them until the juice and flesh separated from skin, then I added fresh basil and parsley, one bay leaf and a handful of dried rosemary, and salted to taste. After the vegetables were done roasting I placed them in a bowl, topped them with the simple tomato sauce and placed some cheddar slices on top. The recipe called for Padano or something else equally fancy, but we get this great cheese from the 32nd Street Farmer's Market
Broom's Bloom Dairy, Hot Pepper Creswell Cheddar, we put it on everything!
http://www.bbdairy.com/
It was really hearty and warm, perfect for the cold rainy night!

1 comment:

  1. Always looking for something else to do with eggplant, I roasted some recently, and when it was soft and mushy, put it into the blender with a big spoonful of pesto. I used the blender because I kept the skins on on the eggplants, but they could have been scraped and then mixed by hand. Anyway, it was a great combination!

    ReplyDelete