Monday, January 25, 2010

Dining Room Reveal!

Teaser photo shot from the front parlor.....It is already better and brighter even from so far away!


The hated color before the transformation...



I am so excited that we actually accomplished something! Sounds lame I know, but there seem to be so many glaring eyesores in the house that demand attention. This one was my personal nemesis. I enjoy color, and I really like red, however, blood red walls in a dining room with almost no natural light and a dim fixture is a recipe for disaster. Every time we ate in this room I felt like I was in the belly of a beast. So naturally it was the first "not necessary" project that I embarked upon.

Not necessary is definitely not quite the same thing as unnecessary...



With floodlights on the walls, the color doesn't look so awful, but I don't care to dine in the glow of 100 W bulbs...



It took 3 coats of Kilz stain-blocking primer and 3 weekends to finish the job. It really wasn't that time consuming, it was just kind of boring and hard. I was in favor of painting after two coats of primer but M was adamant that we should do another, he was probably right. The new color is a light grey that reminds me of bleached oyster shells, two coats of Benjamin Moore--Lacy Pearl. We also followed my mum's advice and hit up the dingy ceiling with one coat of paint. We used Benjamin Moore ceiling paint, it is white and flat and gives a slight contrast.



Here are some final pictures with natural light. It mights seem bland, but I love the minimalist/clean feel of it, especially in such a dim room. We ended up buying 1.5 cans too much so I think this color may go well in the office too since it gets limited natural light and the walls up there are currently the color of rancid butter....my little mind is whirring at 100 mph with projects and fixits right now! Oh how I wish I could just focus on the house for a month straight.




And one final one of the room put back together. I need to find a sideboard, a Shaker bench and some interesting things to put on the walls. I'm hoping to score a few of those old 2 foot high galvanized milk jugs next time we head to Wisconsin, and I'm currently obsessed with mercury glass, odd mixture I know but I think it will turn out well.



I have a hoard of things to post about, namely some delicious thrift finds, come back soon my dears!

No comments:

Post a Comment