Saturday, January 30, 2010

Treasures

Sometimes I forget how satisfying it is to go thrifting, I drool over expensive antiques like these Thonet chairs here or overpriced junk from big box furniture stores and lament about my lack of furniture. Last weekend I left the house and ended up on the south side of Baltimore rummaging through crockery and broken lamps at the Goodwill. It was a very fruitful endeavor if I do say so myself. I found a silver plated dish that is now cradling my perfumes and a cheeky change dish for M's dresser, if it will catch all that wayward change I would be beside myself. Here is what I am most excited about though, my new bentwood chairs,



They are a bit rickety and need some maintenance but for $6 you can't beat it and upon further inspection they were made in Yugoslavia, which isn't even a country anymore! How cool is that? The home-done upholstery job is a worn dark blue velvet that I actually really like, this could only have been a better find if there were four of them.

I had some pretty good luck in the kitchenwares aisle too. I found this adorable set black with tarnish.



It's a silver plated 3 piece tea service, I polished the outside, I'm just not sure what to use on the inside...

I also picked up this ugly lovely chair,



I love mustard color anything, and tufted mustard velveteen is just over the top for me. I'm not usually a big fan of cane on furniture but it works here. And if you look closely at the paperback it is an old edition of a William Blake collection, with a beautiful mustard and red cover, such a score. Even more impressive is that I fit all of these items into my little Honda Civic.

So what are you waiting for? Get out and hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment