Friday, January 1, 2010

Johnnie's Pastrami


Throughout my time in LA, I ate as many enchiladas, tamales, breakfast burritos and tacos as possible, per my usual custom. However my father is obsessed with the West Coast pastrami, also called a hot pastrami, so we ended up at Johnnie's Pastrami in Culver City, CA. First of all the diner is tiny, they only accept cash and they give you a bottomless dish of delicious pickles while you choose your order. Picnic tables are located on both sides of the building for overflow. There are dogs and burgers on the menu but I only have eyes for the hot pastrami. At 10.95 it seems expensive but when it arrives you know why. Almost as large as a loaf of bread, piled high with moist, thinly sliced pastrami, served piping hot. The sandwich is best shared or hoarded for a second meal, but it is nearly impossible to finish alone. I am an avowed pastrami hater and Johnnie's has converted me. If you are ever in the area check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment